- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm milk (120-130°F)
- 2 tablespoons butter softened in warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of anise seed or 1 teaspoon of anise flavoring
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2-2/3 cup sesame seeds for sprinkling on bread
In a mixing bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
Add milk and butter and beat 2 minutes.
Add two eggs and 1/2 cup flour and beat 2 minutes more.
Stir in anise seed or flavoring. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth- about 6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Turn dough once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled-about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Divide in half. Roll each piece into a 24 inch rope. Loosely twist ropes together. Place on a greased baking sheet and form into desired shapes such a cross or staff. Pinch ends together.
Cover. Let rise till doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with sesame seeds
Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from sheet. Cool on wire rack.