- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork, chicken or turkey
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices country white bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup giardiniera, finely chopped
- 8 deli slices provolone
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it and cook the broccoli rabe until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Drain, cool and finely chop.
Place the broccoli rabe, ground meat and Pecorino Romano in a bowl. Season with the chili pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Add a healthy drizzle of EVOO. Mix together and form four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
Pre-heat a griddle or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, flipping once, for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Lower the heat to medium and wipe the pan.
Brush the bread on one side with the butter. Build the patty melts with bread (buttered side out), giardiniera, provolone slice, patty, provolone slice and bread (buttered side out). Cook on the griddle, flipping once, until the cheese melts.