- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons julienne-cut and quartered orange bell pepper slices
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black olives, drained and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh orange or lemon zest, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange or lemon juice, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 Fresh California Avocados, halved and seeded
- Olive oil spray
In a medium size bowl, gently combine the tomatoes, pepper, garlic, green and red onions, olives, zest, dill, salt and juice. Set aside for the flavors to blend while you grill the avocados.
Drizzle the avocado halves with a little juice, then spray with the olive oil spray. Gently place cut-side down on the grill over hot coals for 2-3 minutes. Remove to a platter or individual serving plates.
Stir the salsa, then fill the hollows of each grilled avocado half with the salsa. Serve immediately with the remaining salsa on the side.
Super Spicy Variation: Protecting your hand with rubber gloves, trim two to three thin slices from a habanero pepper. Mince and stir into the salsa.
Tip: To easily peel the tomatoes, slice an “X” across the top of each tomato. Using tongs, submerge the tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds. Cool, then peel the tomato skins starting from the center of the “X.”
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 170; Total Fat 14 g (Sat 2 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2 g, Mono 9 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 270 mg; Potassium 470 mg; Total Carbohydrates 12 g; Dietary Fiber 7 g; Total Sugars 3 g; Protein 2 g; Vitamin A 371 IU; Vitamin C 30 mg; Calcium 32 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 80 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 4%; Iron 20%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Recipe provided by California Avocado Commission. Copyright © 2012
For more great California Avocado recipes, visit CaliforniaAvocado.com.