- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain rotini or penne with lines
- 1 large head broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
Pre-heat the broiler.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package directions (about 10-12 minutes total, depending on the brand). When the pasta has been cooking for a couple of minutes, add the broccoli to the water and finish cooking everything together, 8 minutes more.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and milk. Let the sauce thicken to coat the back of a spoon; stir in 2 cups of cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta and broccoli and toss with the sauce. Adjust the seasonings, to taste. Place in a large casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese and chives or scallions, then place under the broiler to bubble and brown the top.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.