- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 3-4 tablespoons grated yellow onion, with juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (about a palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (a couple of generous pinches)
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/3 pound sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 12 small rolls, such as mini ciabatta or whole grain, split
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro leaves
- Harissa, for topping
In a large bowl, combine the lamb, yellow onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and lots of salt and pepper. Divide into 4 equal portions, then form each portion into three 3-inch patties. Drizzle with EVOO.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 4 minutes for medium. During the last minute of cooking, divide the cheese among the patties and tent with foil to melt.
Top the roll bottoms with the patties, red onion, tomatoes, watercress, parsley, lots of harissa and the roll tops.