- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 can black beans or kidney beans (15 ounces), drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
Place a medium size saucepot over medium heat; adding the oil. Add the jalapeño, red onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly tender. Add the beans and cumin and mash together. Season the beans with salt and pepper and mix in the tomato and scallions.
Reduce the heat to low to keep the beans warm, stirring every now and then to keep them from burning. If the beans dry out before you are ready to use them, add a splash of water.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.