- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 eggplant, half of the skin peeled to make stripes and the flesh chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces)
- One can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 pound raviolini (small, cheese-filled ravioli)
- 1 cup basil leaves, sliced or torn
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for topping
In a medium size soup pot, melt the butter with the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the eggplant and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the raviolini and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the basil.
Serve the soup in bowls, topped with cheese.