- 8 portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean with a damp towel
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling (1/2-1/3 cup)
- Grill seasoning, such as McCormick's brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Four 3/4 inch-thick slices of crusty bread (stale bread is better)
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 Cubanelle peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 pound ball fresh smoked mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup arugula (a couple of handfuls), shredded
- 1 cup basil (about 20 leaves), shredded
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pre-heat a grill or a grill pan to medium-high. Drizzle the mushrooms with EVOO and season with grill seasoning. Grill the mushrooms until fork-tender and well marked but not entirely soft, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, drizzle the bread with EVOO and grill until lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes on each side. Rub the garlic all over the bread and cut into dice.
Place the bread in a large bowl and add the tomatoes, Cubanelle peppers, roasted peppers, onion, cheese, arugula, basil and parsley. Dress the salad with the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste. Pile the salad evenly on top of the mushroom caps.