- 1 medium to large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 8 steaks
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 marinated bocconcini (mozzarella balls), chopped (optional)
- 1 cup basil (about 20 leaves), chopped
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Pour 1/4 cup EVOO in a small bowl. Brush the eggplant slices with EVOO and season liberally with salt and pepper. Grill eggplants for 2-3 minutes on each side and remove.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree some store-bought roasted red peppers with the balsamic vinegar, about 3 tablespoons EVOO, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the shredded chicken. Toss to combine and add in the chopped marinated cheese, if using.
Divide the roasted red pepper-dressed chicken among the eight slices of eggplant and then top each slice with lots of chopped basil. Roll up each eggplant slice from the narrower end to the fat, rounded end. Repeat with all eight slices and reserve while making the romaine salad.
In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped romaine and dress with lemon juice, remaining EVOO, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve two eggplant rollups on top of a bed of dressed romaine.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.